The CAPABLE Program
The CAPABLE program helps older adults function safely in their homes.
Teams, comprised of an Occupational Therapist(OT), a Registered Nurse(RN) and a Handy-person, help older adults identify their own self-care goals which can decrease hospitalization and healthcare costs.
The CAPABLE program involves up to:
- 6 visits with an Occupational Therapist
- 4 visits with a Registered Nurse
- Minor home repairs/modifications and/or assistive devices.
Who is eligible:
- Persons 60 years of age or older and living in the community
- Experience difficulty with at least one activity of daily living
- Are cognitively intact
- Are NOT actively receiving treatment for advanced cancer
- Are NOT on hospice care
- Are a resident of Cass,Mills or Pottawattamie counties.
- Other counties will be included as staff is available
CAPABLE can begin after Home Health Services have ended.
Benefits of the CAPABLE program
CAPABLE Improves Outcomes for Patients.In a population of low-incomeolder adult participants, 75%improved their self-care over five months.
The number of self-care tasks that were difficult were halved
Depressive symptoms were decreased
Preliminary results suggest that CAPABLE cuts inpatient costs by 34%