Click here to view video
- 2c whole milk
- 3.5T sugar
- 2.5t instant yeast
- 1 egg
- 1/4 unsalted butter, lightly melted
- 4 1/3c bread flour
- 2t fine sea salt or kosher salt
- semolina or cornmeal for dusting
1) Whisk together warmed whole milk (95 deg. F) with instant yeast and sugar until
dissolved. Cover and sit for 5 minutes.
2) In a stand mixer or large bowl, whisk together bread flour and salt until
3) Add yeast mixture with butter and egg to flour mixture. Mix until dough forms.
Knead or mix until smooth. Add extra flour as needed, if too sticky.
4) Shape into tight ball and place in large greased bowl. Cover in a warm place a let
rise until doubled, about 1.5 hours.
5) Punch air out of dough and divide into 15-16 equal pieces. Shape into tight balls
and cover to rest, about 10 minutes.
6) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Take a
dough ball, dust each side with semolina or cornmeal, and flatten. Transfer to cast
iron skillet and cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until dark golden brown. Press down
on the dough balls with a flat spatula as they cook, to get desired shape.
7) Transfer muffin to baking sheet with parchment, and place in preheated oven. Cook
for 12-15 minutes, or until slightly golden on the sides.
8) Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack completely. Pre-slice english muffins
and store in a bread bag or airtight container. Best stored in the freezer