Cubed Steaks in Onion and Mushroom Sauce
Cubed Steaks in Onion & Mushroom Sauce
Click here to view video.
2 Cubed Steaks
3 T flour (Roxane used Wondra flour)
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp oil
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8-10 mushrooms sliced
1 ½ cup beef stock or broth
½ tsp beef base or bullion
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet (optional but provides beautiful color)
1. Mix flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper into a gallon plastic zipper bag
2. Place steaks, one at a time, into the flour mixture to coat.
3. Place on plate to rest.
4. Slice onion and chop garlic.
5. Heat skillet (Roxane uses cast iron) and add butter and oil.
6. When better has melted add steaks and sauté 1-2 minutes per side, just to brown.
7. Remove onto a plate.
8. Add onions and garlic and sauté, medium heat, stirring so garlic does not burn.
9. Add mushrooms until softened.
10. Sprinkle the reserved flour from the zipper bag over the vegetables and mix in well and let cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring.
11. Add broth, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and kitchen bouquet, stirring in well to combine.
12. Heat until simmering and return meat to center of pan.
13. Cook for 15-20 minutes and serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.
14. Can also cover and place in a low temp oven to hold or place in a slow cooker on low.