Medicare Help through SHIIP
Senior Health Insurance Information Program
Two SHIIP counseling sites (Council Bluffs and Sioux City) are sponsored by Connections Area Agency on Aging. Our Creston office also offers appointments, utilizing the local SHIIP volunteers from the hospital. For an appointment, please call 800-432-9209. SHIIP sponsors sites are also available throughout the state and nation.
Volunteers are extensively trained by Iowa's SHIIP program, within Iowa's Insurance Division. Counselors give free, unbiased, and confidential information about Medicare. They do not sell, promote or receive compensation for any insurance product. They can help Medicare beneficiaries and their caregivers to navigate the complex Medicare system. Services are available to any Medicare beneficiary, regardless of age or disability.
Welcome to Medicare Seminars are recommended for new beneficiaries, caregivers, professionals or anyone wanting to better understand Medicare benefits. These dynamic presentations are packed with information about the current Medicare system and options.
Services provided by SHIIP counselors include:
- One-on-one counseling for Medicare beneficiaries and their families.
- Information and options for those looking at beginning Medicare
- Drug plan comparisons and Medicare Advantage plan comparisons - they are very busy with these, especially during Open Enrollment Period each fall from Oct 15-Dec 7.
- Medicare issues problem solving and claims issues
- Screening for and assisting with applications to help with Medicare costs
- Open Enrollment Events for Drug Plan Comparisons
- Welcome to Medicare Seminars
- Presentations on Medicare
SHIIP addresses the following Medicare Topics:
- Medicare Parts A & B
- Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C)
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans
- Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap Insurance)
- Employer Based Insurance
- Other Types of Health Insurance
- Insurance Marketing and Consumer Protection